School Health Professionals
Vanguard Classical School was awarded a multi-year School Health Professional Grant to support our students in the following areas:
- Increase the presence of school health professionals (Licensed School Nurses, School Social Workers, in both schools to provide substance abuse and behavioral health care to students who are enrolled and have substance use or other behavioral health needs;
- Provide training and resources for the newly hired school health professionals, other behavioral health school team members, and school staff on the implementation of evidence-based programming on substance use prevention education and behavioral health education for all students who are enrolled; and
- Allow school health professionals to provide care coordination and connect students who are enrolled with services that are provided by community-based organizations for treatment and counseling for students who are at risk for substance use and behavioral health problems
Focus for 2018-19 School Year
- Implementation support of Life Skills Curriculum for grades 3-12, addresses multiple risk and protective factors and teaches personal and social skills that build resistance and help youth navigate developmental tasks, including the skills necessary to understand and resist pro-drug influences.
- The Signs of Suicide Prevention Program is a school-based suicide prevention and depression awareness program designed for middle-school and high-school students.
- Project Towards No Drugs Use is designed to help students who are currently in the early stages of using substances develop self-control and communication skills, acquire resources that help them resist drug use, improve decision making strategies, and develop the motivation to not continue to use drugs
- Second Step K-2 Curriculum - Students learn invaluable skills that help them navigate their way through school as well as their community. Second Step’s age-appropriate games, activities, and media engage students and set children on a path to lifelong success.
The School Health Professionals Team is available to all students and can also provide various community resources and supports. Please feel free to reach out to our team with any questions.
School Health Professionals Team:
- Caroline Dubreuil, School Social Worker
- Katie Buckman, RN
- Leadership Team:
- Emily Van Luit, Elementary Principal
- Angela Schendel Keedy, Secondary Principal
- Marvra Winner, Elementary Assistant Principal
- Troy Stevens, Secondary Assistant Principal
- Jay Cerny, Executive Director