School of Choice
Vanguard Classical School is a school of choice and parents must request enrollment into the school by completing an application prior to or during the annual open enrollment period. Vanguard’s admissions process will be in accordance with the requirements of C.R.S. 22-30.5-104(3).
Enrollment is open to anyone who chooses to attend the school. Vanguard Classical School will not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, creed, color, gender, national origin, religion, or ancestry of any student who seeks admission.
Parent(s)/guardian(s) are encouraged to make an informed choice by 1) coming to an informational meeting or tour, 2) reviewing carefully the Parent/Student Handbook and Curriculum found on the website, and/or 3) meeting with school staff.
The Vanguard Classical School Board adopts the following policy as a reasonable and necessary means of implementing state law providing that all students who live within the corporate limits of the District and students who live in other school districts within the state may enroll in any school or program in the District.
Vanguard Classical School will educate students with disabilities in the least restrictive environment. The School District, while at all times maintaining its right to make the final decision regarding placement of and services to students with disabilities at Vanguard, agrees to support Vanguard’s instructional model as appropriate and consistent with IDEA. Vanguard will provide an inclusive learning environment for students. Vanguard’s instructional model shall not result in a different FTE allocation to the charter school that would be applied to a traditional school.
In implementing this enrollment policy, the Vanguard Classical School will:
- Retain our established curricular structure, arrangement, and function of rooms, and school program.
- Uphold the established eligibility criteria for participation in a particular program, including age requirements, course prerequisites and required levels of performance.
- Consider enrolling any student in any program or school after the first semester if they move from out of district and space is available.
Lottery - February 22, 2018
Applications for Enrollment are available on the school website. A lottery will be used to select students if the number of enrollment applications is greater than the number of available opening for the following school year. The lottery will be held on or before March 1, with notice of time and date posted on the school’s website. Applications/Letters of Intent must be submitted to Vanguard Classical School by 4:00 pm two days prior to the lottery unless otherwise posted. Students will be notified of acceptance within 10 business days following the lottery.
Vanguard Classical School may deny the application of any student for any of the following reasons:
- There is a lack of space or teaching staff within a particular program or school.
- The school does not offer appropriate programs or is not structured or equipped with the necessary facilities to meet special needs or does not offer a particular program requested.
- The students do not meet the established eligibility criteria for participating in a particular program, including age requirements, course prerequisites and required levels of performance.
- The student has been expelled or is in the process of being expelled or may otherwise be denied permission to enroll pursuant to the provisions of the Colorado School Attendance Law.
- A student was enrolled as a sibling of a current student then the currently enrolled students leave Vanguard for any reason.
- Misrepresentation of information will be grounds to invalidate the enrollment request.
Students of Vanguard Classical School in grades K-12 are given new enrollment preference as follows:
- Children of current faculty and staff who are employed at Vanguard at least 30 hours per week for the duration of the school year.
- Siblings of currently enrolled students at each Vanguard site in grades K-11 and will be attending Vanguard during the following year.
- Students that are currently enrolled at a Vanguard site and wish to transfer to the other site.
- Students on the waiting list from a previous lottery.
- Students with a completed application/letter of intent from the current lottery in the order they were drawn.
- After October Count Day, students applying may be enrolled for the current school year if space is available or they will be placed in the lottery pool for the following school year.
Students currently attending Vanguard Classical School will not need to reapply.
Students attending Vanguard Classical School will be expected to provide their own transportation.
Students must meet minimum age requirements to enter kindergarten and first grade at Vanguard Classical School.
Enrollment for Kindergarten – Five years old on or before October 1 of the year of enrollment.
Enrollment for First Grade – Six years old on or before October 1 of the year of enrollment.
A birth certificate or passport is required from all children not previously enrolled in Vanguard Classical School. Enrollment for 2nd-8th grade students requires a copy of the enrollee’s past two-semester report cards, discipline and attendance records. A copy of report cards, discipline and attendance records and a meeting with the high school principal are required for all students entering grades 9-12.
A student must have successfully completed the previous grade, not including summer school, to advance to the next grade level at Vanguard. If upon receipt of the official records, the initial information is found to be in error; the student will be moved back to the appropriate grade.
- A birth certificate or passport is required from all children not previously enrolled in Vanguard Classical School. Completed paperwork must be received by the front office staff or a designated Vanguard Classical School Team Member by the date agreed upon or student may lose placement in the school.
- Any dishonest representation of grades or transcripts may also result in the student forfeiting placement.
- Upon request of records, accompanied by an enrollment/withdrawal signed by the parent/guardian of record by another school for a current Vanguard Classical School student, Vanguard will vacate the enrolled student’s seat and it will be filled through the process outlined above.
- If a record request is received without a signed enrollment/withdrawal form, the parent/guardian of record will be contacted in order to determine the origin/intent for the request.
Grade Level Placement of Newly Enrolled Students
- The grade level placement policy is designed to promote educational excellence and fairness, placing a student at the most appropriate level for instruction.
- If students new to the school are found to be reading more than one grade level behind their existing peer group, they may be required to enroll in the grade level deemed appropriate by the teacher and the Principal/Director.
Admissions during the Current School Year
- Full-time Students
- Space permitting, K-12 students will be admitted through the end of the first semester unless they move from out of the district.
- The administrators and BOD may consider special circumstances of a family and admit a student at any time if it is in the best interest of the student and the school.
- Part-time Students
- VCS may accept part-time students under special circumstances if it is in the best interest of the student and the school.
Policy JF revised 12/16